Your Top 10 Flood Insurance Questions Answered

Most people assume homeowners insurance covers flooding. The truth is flood coverage requires a separate policy.

Probably not. A Presidential declaration is required for federal disaster assistance to become available. Most floods do not result in a Presidential declaration. Typically, Federal disaster aid is a low-interest loan which must be repaid alongside the loan payment you already have on your property. Note: FEMA and the U.S. Business Administration will not restore your home or your treasured household items to pre-disaster conditions.

The best way to protect your home is through flood insurance. With flood insurance, no payback is required and your home will be restored to pre-disaster condition.

Yes, you can. If you live in a community that participates in the National Flood Insurance Program you can insure the contents of your home or business. Our National General Insurance agents can help you decide on available coverage.

Flooding occurs everywhere. A combination of poor drainage, rapid rainfall or broken water mains can result in regional floods regardless of your designated risk. Example: A mudslide could damage your hillside home as a result of flooding.

Living in a high-risk area means your property may experience a flood during your 30-year mortgage. This is why Flood Insurance in high- risk areas is federally regulated and required.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency designates flood zone areas. These areas of land are at a higher risk of flooding. In truth, everyone lives in a potential flood zone. Some areas are low risk while others are moderate or high-risk regions.

While living on a hill may reduce your risk of flood, it is not eliminated. Heavy rains, hurricanes and tropical storms can all impact your need for protection. Talk to your National General Insurance agent and see if you qualify for a lower-cost flood insurance policy.

Your home's foundations and structural equipment is covered within flood insurance. (think furnace, water heaters, circuit breakers and more). Note: Your basement contents may be covered under your homeowners insurance. Added coverage may be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Policy. It's important to remember that flood insurance does not cover items like finished walls, floors, ceilings and belongings.

If the flood water covers at least two acres then yes. Flood insurance requires at least two properties to be affected in your area, one of which may be yours.

No. Flood insurance covers the overflow and rapid accumulation of runoff surface waters. It does not cover rain entering through a window, door or hole in the roof. Flood insurance excludes wind and hail damage but most homeowners' insurance provides for this coverage.

Yes. Typically, a 30-day waiting period is active from the date of sale. Contact your National General Insurance agent for details on exceptions.

At National General Insurance our policies are designed to protect your property. Our building coverage covers up to $250,000. Our contents coverage offers personal belonging protection up to $100,000.

National General Insurance insures unsurpassed features, benefits and savings. Call 1-888-745-2507 today to get the protection you and your home deserve.

Flood Insurance
As a homeowner, it’s important to protect your investment. But did you know that most homeowners insurance policies don’t cover damages caused by flooding?
Read More

At National General Insurance, we believe that having a better understanding of your flood risk can help you better protect yourself and your property.
Read More